Bay's Travel Blog

I don't travel much any more. Resist!

Monday, June 09, 2008

Tennessee state bird calls!

I just listened to my recording of the mockingbird in the middle of the night again, and I do not know enough bird songs to identify everything in this four-minute snippet. I can make out blackbirds, a cricket, and what sounds to me like a lawn mower starting, if a bird were to sing the sound a lawn mower makes when it isn't starting. I counted 21 different calls, but it was hard to keep track because he repeats some calls before he moves on to new ones.

If you know anyone who's an expert, I would appreciate some help identifying more bird calls.

Emily heard the recording and said, "My gosh, that mockingbird is lonesome!" Dang, I never thought of it that way, but she's right!

Big thank you to Amy for hosting the sound clip on the Grits to Glitz website. Someday I hope to be able to return, like, a fraction of the favors she's done for me.

2 Comments:

At 10/6/08 11:56 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I just played this for my birds, and they're mesmerized. What a talented mockingbird!

 
At 22/6/08 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bay!

Two things -

1. I had a lonely mockingbird out my bedroom window one summer as well. He would sing ALL NIGHT. It was nice...at first. We named him Jefferson T. Mockingbird.

2. I asked BirdDoc (husband to Jungle Marge, my dad, and birder extraordinaire) to listen to your recording and see what he could come up with. He lives in Atlanta, and is very familiar with the songs and calls of the Southeastern birds. Here's his list of the songs and calls he heard:

1.Eastern Towhee

2.Carolina wren

3.Red-eyed vireo

4.American robin

(Carolina wren)

5.Summer tanager (call)

6.American Crow

7.Northern Cardinal

8.Scarlet tanager (call)

(American robin)

(American Crow)

9.Veery

10.White-eyed vireo

11.Eastern phoebe

(Northern Cardinal)

12.Bluejay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home