Bay's Travel Blog

I don't travel much any more. Resist!

Friday, June 06, 2008

Ch-ch-changes!

This little bird is Emily's latest cockatiel. We tend to go through cockatiels rapidly. It's not intentional. We've had a few that weren't healthy. We've had some that stuck around for years. This one just happens to be new. Her name is Sylvia, and she shows a great deal of promise for being a great cockatiel.

Seems like just a couple of days since I was complaining about too much silence around the house. Boy, that changed quick.

Emily and Woodrow came home Wednesday afternoon, earlier than expected because of a death in the family with whom they'd been staying. I've never been so happy to see them!

Well, OK, there were some other times. But I can't remember them at the moment.

So Wednesday evening when I went for my walk at the gorgeous community park -- y'know, the one with the hawk's nest and all the forest and the wildlife abounding and all that stuff -- I was very surprised to find abandoned puppies at the top corner of the soccer field.

Surprised and, well, overemotional. Wesley and Woodrow and I scooped up the two girl puppies who looked an awful lot like pit bull puppies to me, and we brought them home overnight.

Yes, I'm shocked that there are still people out there who don't spay or neuter their animals. That's shocking enough. But then they dump the unwanted progeny? What is that about? Aren't they aware of the perfectly fine animal shelter just up the road?

Dis-gusting. Yeah. I love people.

Anyway. I got very little sleep because the puppies whined most of the night long.

Then when I got up, and I sent Emily to the nearest convenience store for a half gallon of milk, she decided to have her first fender bender.

Augh.

Yes. Quiet would be really nice right about now.

Emily's fine. The Prius is fine. The other car needs a new bumper. No one was hurt. And we took the puppies to the animal shelter this afternoon, after naming them Coffee and Toast.

Just a crazy Thursday, that's all.

2 Comments:

At 6/6/08 4:50 AM, Blogger Amelia said...

Just yesterday, my boyfriend was about to take an abandoned kitten to the shelter (who would've had an excellent chance of getting adopted) when our neighbor came over and claimed her. This neighbor of ours has at least 15-20 cats that he feeds, but never gets them vet care or fixed, so they just keep multiplying in the neighborhood. (sigh) It's frustrating to see them abandoned in the middle of nowhere, too...especially pit bull puppies. Many people act like pit bulls carry around leprosy when they are just as sweet natured as any other breed if raised in the right home.

 
At 7/6/08 1:37 PM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

Amelia, we do have feral cat problems here in the lower part of Loudon County. Don't you just want to smack people for being so irresponsible?!

As for the pit bulls... I admit, I am not a fan. But that doesn't mean they should be abandoned and allowed to die by starvation or neglect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home