Bay's Travel Blog

I don't travel much any more. Resist!

Monday, April 24, 2006

Who doesn't like pie?

Celebrating my freedom yesterday, Woodrow and I made a pair of chocolate chess pies. If you have never had chocolate chess pie, then you don't know what you're missing. It's more chocolate than chocolate pie, but less fudgey than fudge. And when I say "less fudgey," I mean only slightly less. It's so slightly less fudgey than fudge, I always top it with whipped cream. Cuts the sweetness, y'know.

We devoured the first pie last night -- after a dinner of grilled pork chops, roasted new potatoes with garlic & rosemary, and fresh asparagus with Hollandaise sauce. Yes, we were clearly going overboard.

The second pie is now half gone. It won't see Tuesday, I fear.

Big thanks to Emily for taking a picture of the pie before it's completely gone!

What's that? You want the recipe? Well, of course!

Chocolate Chess Pie

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Mix together:
- 1/2 cup melted margerine
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 12-oz. can evaporated milk

(Mix thoroughly after each addition to the mix.)

Pour the mixture into two 9" unbaked pie shells. Bake for an hour. Allow to cool; serve with whipped cream. Mmmmmmmmm. Store covered in the fridge; holds for a few days.

Note: The mixture before baking is very liquid. It works best to have a very stiff pie pan or to put flimsy aluminum pie pans on a toaster sheet for stability. Otherwise, the stuff sloshes all over the place.

1 Comments:

At 25/4/06 12:04 PM, Blogger Nicky said...

mmmmmm....
I haven't made one of these in years, but I bet I will soon.
Oh, and congrats on your "retirement" from the grocery business. I know it had to be hard on the body. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home