Bay's Travel Blog

I don't travel much any more. Resist!

Friday, May 02, 2008

Wanna Be Farmer


Wesley has this fascinating and unforgettable theory that all the great story themes are "He just wanted to be a farmer, but [blank] pushed him to be a hero."

It applies to almost every movie you can think of. Star Wars? Luke just wanted to be a ... whatever it was that his uncle was, but Darth Vader forced him to be a hero.

The Godfather: Vito just wanted to import olive oil, but circumstances forced him to become a mob boss.

Gone With the Wind? Scarlett just wanted to trap Ashley into marriage, but the Civil War forced her to be a materialistic serial monogamist.

See?

I could go on forever. Try it out sometime. This theory doesn't work for "she had a lifelong dream" movies. Like, y'know, "A Chorus Line." Man, that flick was great.

So, all I wanted to be was a writer. That's all. Then the cable company sold me a wireless router that doesn't work properly.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Hector loves his ball. That's why the photo is pasted above.

Friday -- if I wake up, if the weather is nice, if the moon aligns with Mars, etc. -- Friday, we might go hiking. I'm not holding my breath. I really want to spend some quality time in the Smokies, but I'm afraid May 2nd isn't the right date for me.

And there's a Cuban restaurant in Market Square that I've been dying to try, but they're only open for lunch.

I do so love Cuban food. It reminds me of a trip to Miami with Amy, when we went to a Brazilian buffet and were the only Anglos in the whole place. In the middle of the night, there was a car wreck just across from our frighteningly kitschy hotel. And darn it, people, this place was in the middle of hip, downtown, near-the-beach Miami. I mean, the elevator had to be operated by an operator, for heaven's sake. And he didn't speak English. I loved that hotel! I wish I could remember the name.

I just wanted to be a writer, I swear.

Why can't fate just let me be?

(ROFL!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home