Bay's Travel Blog

I don't travel much any more. Resist!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hesitant? Why?

I have been very hesitant to post, and I'm not sure why. I mean, after all, I've been reviewing plays in various places for ages.

The truth is -- we saw "Guy & Dolls" at the Clarence Brown Theater. It was the next-to-last performance of that show. Anything we might have to say about it could not possibly affect the box office receipts of the theatre itself. Yet I'm still hesitant to be brutally honest.

So I'll be glossily honest. It was an OK production of "Guys & Dolls." The director absolutely did indulge in type-casting the same tired graduate students in the same tired sorts of roles we've all seen all season.

However, the imported guy as Sky Masterson, and the under-the-radar 3rd-year MFA guy as Nathan Detroit were both totally bearable in their roles.

The male chorus absolutely out-performed the all-female Hot Box Dancers and such.

But -- dang it, I've seen community theatres kick Clarence Brown butt on "Rockin' the Boat." (Chattanooga Theatre Centre, take a bow -- they completely killed the Clarence Brown on sincere gospel singing.)

I didn't really want to post this snark. I would love to be nicer about productions at the University of Tennessee. I'm not holding my breath about the 2008-09 season, which sounds dull. Yes, I said dull. As in boring. Yawn. Wake me when it's over. I can't believe they're doing "A Christmas Carol" again. Yes, this last December's offering was good - that doesn't mean it should be reprised. So soon.

It's times like these that I wish I had more influence and power... and then I remember that with power comes responsibilities. What? Oh, my! Look! It's a free burrito stand! Gotta go...........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home