Bay's Travel Blog

I don't travel much any more. Resist!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Secret O' Life

I'm a James Taylor fan. I'm married to a Parrothead. [Note: A "Parrothead" is what Jimmy Buffett fans call themselves.] I think that comparison says a lot about who we are and what motivates us.

While searching for inspiration today (I needed *one* sentence to kickstart a whole newsletter, and man, I hate that kind of writer's block), I found a five-year-old trip report of mine. After three chapters, I started using a quote to give the readers a clue about what was going on the rest of the day. Who knew John Donne could ever be applied to a Walt Disney World trip? Well. Apparently *I* knew.

Anyway, one of the days started with the lyric, "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time," from James Taylor's song, "Secret O' Life." I love that song. I love what that song *says*. It makes me cry. In a good way.

I have spent my life trying to figure out how to simply enjoy the passage of time. Just when I think I've got the knack of it, something happens to throw me offtrack. Like the air conditioner breaking -- oh, it is finally fixed. Thank heaven. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were a blur of hot, sweaty misery. I couldn't *think*, it was so hot. I kept telling myself that I was going to go to a motel and check in just so I could sleep. I was talking to my sister on the phone, and I compared myself to a super computer from the mid-80's. Like a Cray, I couldn't think when I was hot.

[Most people don't know what Crays were. My sister did. A Cray did the animation in the Dire Straits' hit "Money for Nothing." When was that -- 1985? 1986? Pixar is built on the fossilized bones of old Dire Straits videos, eh?]

Now the AC works, and I can once again move through the air in my house without sludging to a complete, brainless stop, wondering where I was going or what I was doing. I have deadlines. I have things to do. I have stuff to write, and I *still* have this tremendous, undeniable, incredible urge to create. And my scrap space is still a mess, so I have no *room* in which to create. It's an unending cycle.

I'm going on vacation in mid-August. Before then, I'll be traveling to Wisconsin for Club Scrap Retreat. I can't wait for Retreat. I haven't been since 2003. They pamper people at Club Scrap Retreat, and I need some pampering.

Maybe I can slow down at Retreat and "try not to try too hard -- it's just a lovely ride."

And if that doesn't work, I'll put on a Hawaiian shirt and sing "Grapefruit, Juicy Fruit," which is the only Jimmy Buffett song that I know from beginning to end. Mostly because it's short.

3 Comments:

At 21/7/05 10:56 AM, Blogger Jennifer Stewart said...

Hi, Bay :)

I love James Taylor, too. Could his voice be any smoother and comforting? His songs always make me smile.

That hot summer rain photo is gorgeous!

And yeah, if I didn't have A/C I'd be the same way. Couldn't think at all.

And thanks for visiting my blog! :)

Jennifer

 
At 15/2/07 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Mature women with girls Ac acyclovir backpack nuke nuke animal bingo cards free Posa vina orgies how do hardcore vocalists scream merecedes benz e430 body kits Sexual side effects from neurontin

 
At 23/2/07 3:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read workout routines body building workouts history of the boating industry zyrtec cinnaminson new jersey Cash advance is advanced Wyoming tattoo removal Acuvue and carrello cookingschools com culinary cooking school online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home