Bay's Travel Blog

I don't travel much any more. Resist!

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Cosmo's fine....

I know, I know, three posts in one day? Well, I'm a busy gal. What can I say?

A number of you have written to ask how Cosmo's doing, so I thought I would give an update. The first two days at home were really quite iffy and I was quite concerned about the old boy. He spent the majority of his time eating or sleeping. He indulged in very little talking and absolutely no yelling or singing. I made a point of not sneaking up on him, because if one appeared suddenly before him, he would try to bite. I'm sure it was the trauma of being out in the wild for four terrible nights.

He ate everything we gave him and has really outdone himself in the drinking department. I'm surprised he doesn't squish when he moves; he really has drunk a lot of water. The best food he got was a bunch of grapes; his little eyes rolled back in his head as he held a grape delicately in one foot and nibbled rapturously on the berry. I wish I had gotten a picture of him at that task, but honestly, I was just enjoying watching him too much to run for the camera. I've never seen him enjoy any food as much as he enjoyed those grapes.

Cosmo moved laboriously and slowly for the first two days at home, as if each step pained him. I examined his feet but can find no overt signs of wounds or stresses there. I think he was just exhausted.

I took it slowly and would just spend my time near him, reading out loud or talking softly to him reassuringly. He seemed to appreciate that and tried to bite at the air a little less when I was near.

Now, Friday night/Saturday morning, I'm happy to report that he stepped up willingly and let me hold him for quite a long time. He let me scritch his neck -- not near his left ear, which is still denuded and seems to be tender. (The kids want to know if he got a mosquito bite there; I honestly don't know.) He walked all over me; my lap, my arms, my hands, my shoulders, and finally climbed to the top of my head, his usual perch. There, he let me reach up and rub his neck for almost an hour. Yes, I had to wash my hair afterward. Now doesn't seem to be the time to try to teach him to do "his business" in the cage.

It strikes me that a week ago tonight, he was stuck in a pecan tree, and I thought he would stay there. It all seems so long ago and so removed. I still can't believe how lucky we are that Cosmo found his way home and called us to retrieve him. We're extraordinarily fortunate, and that feeling of benevolence is beneficial to all the animals. The cat enjoys extra patience as he tries to dash out the front door; the other birds are enjoying extra attention and scritches. We're all just hunkering together and remembering what "family" means.


At 26/6/05 1:12 AM, Blogger Wanda E. Santiago said...

Hey beautiful I am so Happy Cosmos is fine!! I love the way you tell a story!! It's a gift!! Hugs Wanda

At 26/6/05 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that Cosmo is home and doing better. Enjoy your family time. :)


Post a Comment

<< Home